Home Current issue Ahead of print Search About us Editorial board Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 38  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 627-637

Endovascular tibial arteries revascularization and its outcome on wound healing with split-thickness skin grafts for limb salvage in patients with below-the-knee vascular disease


1 Vascular Unit, General Surgery Department, Benha University, Banha, Egypt
2 Vascular Surgery Department, National Institute of Diabetes, Cairo, Egypt
3 Plastic Surgery Unit, General Surgery Department, Benha University, Banha, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
MD Ahmed K Allam
Mohamed Atteyia Mansour Street, Khairy Allam Building, Benha 13512, Kalubeyia
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ejs.ejs_221_18

Rights and Permissions

Background Continuous and rapid advancement in percutaneous endovascular therapy has led to a significant increase in its use as a primary option for revascularization replacing surgical bypass, and it has become a standard treatment for critical limb ischemia (CLI). Clinical success of percutaneous revascularization has been mostly judged by patency rate and limb salvage, but there is paucity of reports on the outcomes of the wound. We present a retrospective study of immediate angiographic and 6-month clinical outcome of patients who underwent endovascular recanalization of tibial arteries for CLI followed by surgical debridement and wound reconstruction with split-thickness skin graft (STSG) for patients with grade 2 ulcer according to the Wound, Ischemia, foot Infection score. Patients and methods Between January 2016 and April 2017, 47 consecutive adult patients with CLI who underwent endovascular recanalization of infra-popliteal arteries due to more than 50% stenosis or chronic total occlusion with grade 2 chronic wound that was reconstructed using STSG and who had a clinical follow-up of at least 6 months were selected for analysis. Results Forty-seven patients underwent endovascular reconstruction. Forty (85.1%) patients underwent only balloon angioplasty and remaining seven (14.9%) underwent additional bailout stenting for proximal tibioperoneal or anterior tibial arteries. Twenty-eight (59.6%) patients had multiple vessel recanalization, while 19 (40.4%) patients had single vessel recanalization. Linear flow to the foot was achieved in at least one artery, mostly the anterior tibial artery in 32 (68.1%) patients postrevascularization. Successful wound healing occurred in 37 (80.4%) patients, 24 (64.9%) of them underwent wound covering with STSG with graft uptake in 20 (83.3%) patients. Limb salvage was achieved in 41 (89.1%) patients at a 6-month follow-up. Conclusion Endovascular recanalization of tibial arteries is an effective procedure for the treatment of CLI. STSG can be considered a reliable option for achieving wound healing in diabetic foot patients after successful revascularization and proper wound debridement. Normal outflow with at least one of the three infra-popliteal vessels being patent is essential for adequate healing and graft taking.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed138    
    Printed23    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded43    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal